Saturday 1 April 2017

Country View Crafts Challenges #50 - Rust

I was excited when I saw the theme for this month's challenge as I have recently saw Seth Apter demonstrate a rusting technique using just paint.

This is my finished project:

And here's how I created it.....

I started off by using the new Distress Oxides, which I blended onto a tag and sprinkled with water.  I love the feel of the ink - they are softer than original distress inks.


Just look at the effect the water has on the ink - awesome!


Next I die cut a Tim Holtz bird cage in plain white card and painted it in black fresco finish paint.


I then took the 2 sets of Seth Apter colours for Paper Artsy Fresco Finish paints and set to work at creating rust.


I layered up Mahogany, Terracotta, Green Patina and Smoked paprika.


I kept layering the paints until I was happy with the 'rust'.


I then started to construct my tag.

I took a lady from the new Tim Holtz Paper Dolls and added some colour using a marker.

I then attached everything to the tag and added a quote and metal chain.


I really enjoyed making this tag...Pop over to the Country View Crafts challenge blog and see what the other design team members created.

I hope you join in with the challenge.

Happy crafting!




12 comments:

  1. Wonderful rusting effects Miriam your paint layers look so authentic xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool tag, Miriam!! love that rusty cage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant miriam. I love your tag. Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for this caged woman... I hope she frees herself soon! Great concept and the rust is looking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tag Miriam, it's a great rust technique. My DO's are still in the packet still waiting for playtime! Have a fun weekend. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great piece Miriam, and great write up too. Fab rust effects. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. great rusting Miriam and lovely tag xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous rusty cage, Miriam! Your background with the Distress Oxides looks fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tag, Miriam! The rusty cage looks great and I love the quote.
    xx Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. So unusual Miriam and a great rust technique xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous rusty tag - love it x

    ReplyDelete