Sunday 11 March 2018

A Lightbulb Moment

Early last week I saw a sample of a new stamp produced by That Craft Place.  For those of you who are not familiar with them, Danny and Lisa produce amazing MDF shapes, stamps, stencils and more.  They also design amazing products for Creative Expressions.

So, how lucky was I when the stamp I had seen in the week dropped through my letterbox!  I had an idea instantly but had to wait for the weekend to play.


So,  as soon as work was finished on Friday evening I set about with the first stage of my plan.


I used a large MDF label from Creative Expressions as my base. I spread a fairly thick layer of texture pastes over the label, knowingly leaving a few bare bits around the edges.  While the paste was wet I spritzed the stamp with water and randomly stamped it all over the label. 

If you try this please make sure that you clean your stamp immediately so that the paste does not dry and ruin your stamp.

This was then left to dry thoroughly over night.


Next morning, once the paste was fully dry, I sprinkled Sleight Blue Infusions over the label and spritzed with water.  Each time I did this I blotted with a paper towel, and repeated until I was happy with the result.

I loved how the Infusions pooled into the indents from the stamp - I thought it looked pretty awesome.

For some reason I didn't take a pic of the next stage.  I stamped the bulb onto shrink plastic 5 times, cut them out and heated to shrink.  No matter how many times I do this it always amazes me.  I had also coloured parts of the bulb in but forgot that when they shrink, the colour deepens.  I wasn't really happy with this so used rubbing alcohol on a cotton bud to mute the colours.


Once I was happy, the bulbs were glued using Cosmic Shimmer glue.

I twisted some rusted wire and glued this too.  Once the glue had dried clear I carefully went over it with an alcohol marker which made it look like it had been soldered.

 

To finish, I edges the label using Black acrylic plate and drew a scribble border using a white gel pen.

So, there you go.  My finished project.  I really like how this turned out....and how my idea actually worked!

Thanks for joining me this evening.......

2 comments: